It really is true when they say the older you get, the faster time flies. My dad used to tell me this ALL.THE.TIME when I was in high school & college daydreaming about being older & moving out “so I can just do what I want.” Now those days are HERE & what I wouldn’t give to tell younger me to just slow down & breathe it all in. Stop & enjoy the care-free life of no bills, sleeping til noon, eating whatever in the heck i wanted & not gaining a single ounce 🙄, napping the day away, partying like a rockstar til 3AM & still able to jump out of bed for that 8:00 class, and everything else that younger me did. Sigh.
Well, now that older me is laying in bed @ nap time with Reese’s feet in my back, sound machine drowning out the noisy washer & dryer, and Cookie’s tail draped over my face. #momlife – I’ll start by reviewing the last few months.
• All of our birthdays came & went and tada, we’re another year older. Reese’s is in November (she turned 3 😭) while both Tommy & me have December birthdays. During those birthdays, Santa passed & was WAY too generous to my already-spoiled child. We have since made the extra bedroom a toy room, but it’s honestly busting at the seams. I want to walk in there with a black trash bag & just chunk everything she’s outgrown or hasn’t played with in awhile. She’ll honestly have no idea. Seriously, we can’t even walk without making ourselves a little trail. One day, my friends, one day that black trash bag (or ten) is going to magically appear & magically vanish into thin air.
• Then came the start of a fresh new year! I LOVE new beginnings – a time to begin anew & slay those goals like Wonder Woman. January flew by, February showed up & then blew away, too, March was here for a little longer but not too much, April was here for a minute & then left, and here we are in MAY. What the what?! How did that even happen?! Like almost half the year gone already?
• This month, let’s see – it’s been rather eventful. We celebrated Easter right off the bat. That was fun! Reese had a blast hunting for eggs and we even attempted to dye some. My OCD/ADD self was over it before we even started. My anxiety level was 835, if that number is even on the anxiety scale.
• My uncle got married in Belle Chasse & I think my child was the life of the party. She was on the dance floor non-stop (like did she really have one of those alcohol-infused snowballs or was that me?!) She had more energy that night than her whole life put together, I think. We also used this as a weekend getaway to just escape for a day or two & it was just what we needed to recoop.
(the artist who was painting at the reception even painted my little Reesey Girl in) TOP LEFT
• We also celebrated our FIFTH anniversary! Five whole years of wedded bliss. We’ve definitely been through the good, the bad, and the ugly but there’s absolutely nobody on this planet I’d rather do this crazy life with. He’s my solid rock when I get a little cray, my level head when I don’t have one, the one who can pick up the pieces when I just don’t have the willpower, my BETTER half, and most importantly, the best husband & baby daddy I could ask for.
He planned a surprise getaway to a bed & breakfast cottage in Rayne, Louisiana (right outside Lafayette). It was absolutely gorgeous & just what we needed to relax. And since it was the middle of the week, it was actually very peaceful and quiet, even around town. I actually found out later that he had been keeping this a secret since January! Y’all, we can’t keep secrets in this family. AT ALL! I mean, Reese even told Tommy about his anniversary present the day it came in. “Oh Daddy, the mail lady brought you something today from Mommy. And I think you’re really gonna like it…” Well, there went that. And I had totally stashed it away so I wouldn’t see it & give it to him early. 🤷🏻♀️ Oh well, he did absolutely love it, to my surprise! 🙌🏻
Since wood is the symbol for anniversary #5, I knew right away what I wanted for him. A wooden watch! The only thing holding me back was the fact that he never wears a watch & has even mentioned a few times that they’re just too big & bulky. I decided to go ahead & get it , and if he wouldn’t wear it, then I would. Win-Win! Plus, I had found a company that also made leather bands for them instead of all wood AND you could engrave the back side with a special note. Perfection in my book!
We got back into town on Friday & still had the whole weekend. You know how you need a recoop session from your vacay? Yep, that was how this was. It felt great to get away for a few days, but man, do I love coming home.
• So fast forward to that Monday – I woke up to the most excruciating pain ever. Well, besides that one time I found out I had a kidney stone & I wasn’t in actual labor. Y’all, whatever. It was intense!
That was exactly like this except that it was my whole belly (abdomen) area. Kinda like heartburn in my tummy. I tried everything to make it move up & get out. Ran into the kitchen & took TUMS, that kidney stone medicine they gave me to help pass the actual stone, rubbed Digize & Lavender all over my abdomen area & Panaway on my lower back (where’s my YLEO tribe at?! Holla!), drank tons of water… even a Tylenol to get rid of the pain. Nope, still there. I even stuck to my morning routine & went to Baby Bootcamp thinking if I could just do some stretches or whatever, it’d go on its way. Negative again. I didn’t want to seem like a wimp, but geez, this was putting a cramp in my style. There’s no time for Mama to be down. I’ve got a to-do list a mile long & this mess wasn’t on it, especially on a Monday. But, after nothing I was doing was helping even the least little bit, I called & got in with my PCP that afternoon. She took some labs & x-rays, but nothing came back out of the ordinary (on the ones that could be read right then). She prescribed me some medicine to help with the pain & coat my stomach (which I found out later mostly catered to stomach ulcers) and I went on my way. Filled the quite expensive bottle of yuck & dashed home to take a big swig & hopefully lay down for a little bit & start feeling relief. (By the way, my child is SUCH a trooper for being drug around to all these places & listening to her mama moan & groan in the process.) After Dose #2 of the chalky stuff & I still wasn’t getting relief, I knew something else was wrong. I’m not usually a complainer & try to put off anything like this until the last possible minute, but this wasn’t letting up. Push the fast forward button again to that night. Once Tommy got home & I was still in a decent amount of pain, I took a hot bath to hopefully calm whatever this monster was, down. Still no. Y’all, what the heck?! Around 9pm, I gave in & went to the ER. I knew I wasn’t going to last through the night & better now than at 2AM, right? Finally after more labs, x-rays, ultrasounds, you name it – the verdict was announced!
My gallbladder. It needed to come out. It was infested with gallstones. Well, at least I was right on the stone part. 🤷🏻♀️ 4 hours later, I’m released with a few pages of prescriptions (all pain meds) & told to see a surgeon right away before I had another attack. Apparently, that’s the only way to treat these little fellas until you actually have the gallbladder out. I’m really looking forward to bringing the 2 pages of scripts to my pharmacy, (still haven’t done it) who already stare me down like I’m a pill head. 🙄 Hmm, nope, just a mama trying to live her life without the side hustle of drug dealing. So, here I am – playing the waiting game. Actually, my appointment with him is tomorrow to hopefully discuss when I can get ole Gertie the Gallbladder out & gone forever. 🙌🏻
So that’s a recap of the last few months. 🤣 I really hope it’s not another few months before I can sit down & put my thoughts on paper.